MJ Durkin is one of the most sought-after speakers and foremost experts on the subject of prospecting and securing face-to-face appointments. Known as “North America’s Prospecting Coach,” he has been a keynote speaker and presenter at some of the world’s largest sales training conventions. He is the author of the fast selling book, “Double Your Contacts –What Every Network-Marketer Needs to Know about Making Contacts and Booking Appointments.” He has sold over 70,000 books and 140,000 training programs on compact disc. The author of “Selling from the Heart” and “Double Your Downline” is known for his direct speaking style and will help you to get your opportunity and products in front of more prospects. MJ Durkin lives in CT with his two boys, Corey and Tyler and their tortoise, Derek.
Who Ya Gonna Call? – Your Names List
Whether you are brand new to your Network-Marketing business (which, by the way, I am now referring to as Relationship-Marketing), or an experienced veteran of the industry, your Names List is a vital tool to help you to start or expand your business. Most Relationship-Marketing companies will suggest that you write down a list of all the people that you know and will give you memory joggers to help you; who do buy your dry cleaning from, who does your accounting work, who do you know at church? If you have your “new distributors” manual or starting pack, you are familiar with the approach.
However, many people new to the business get confused because within this List there are many different categories of people. And each one of those people needs to be approached in a slightly different way depending on the relationship that you have with each person. The way that you would approach your own brother is different from the way you would approach your dry cleaner. It might be very awkward to say to your dry cleaner, “I recently found a product or service that changed my life and I want to share it with you. When could you invite me over for coffee to meet with you and your wife?” Now, this approach might be perfect to use with a close friend but your dry cleaner is going to think you are some kind of weirdo! (especially if you live in downtown Manhattan).
Making your Names List or helping your distributors to make the List in categories will help the process to move along faster and will provide more clarity for your “newbie.” Consider the following categories when you are making a Names List.
- Family – These are immediate family like mother, father, brothers, sisters and aunts and uncles. Just people you are close to – not long lost cousins you haven’t talked to in twenty years.
- Close Friends – These are people that you would feel comfortable inviting to a family oriented gathering like a christening, confirmation or a child’s birthday party.
- Organization Friends – These are people that you are associated with because of groups that you belong to. They include people that you know from church, PTA, your kid’s sports games, civic organizations etc.
- Work Friends – These are people that you work with, work for you or you work for them. You may be close to some of them and some of them may be casual acquaintances for you but your connection to them is your work relationship.
- Work Related Acquaintances – These are people that you know because of your work. They could be vendors, customers, service people, delivery people etc. They range from the copier repair person to the salesperson who comes in once a month to meet with your boss.
- People You Buy from Outside Your Home – These are people that you buy from on a daily basis. They include your dry cleaner, florist, shipping, your convenience store person, your lunch counter person etc.
- People You Buy from for your Home – You have all kinds of people that you invite into your home to sell you or service things. They include pest control, lawn care, repair people, delivery people and service people like a carpenter or electrician.
- New People that you will meet – Now that you have a new business meeting new people will become important. You will start seeing people as possible prospects for products or your opportunity.
Did you realize that there were so many different categories? Probably not. Just the act of focusing on these various ways that you know people will start to jump- start your memory and will automatically increase the number of people on your Names List! You can also see the value of each category because it becomes clear to you that each category will need to be approached in a unique way. More about how to make the approach in another blog.
– MJ Durkin
PS: Drew will be interviewing me on Wednesday, September 2nd at 11am ET! Call 616-597-8000 and use code 808069# BE THERE!!!
Copyright 2009 MJ Durkin All Rights Reserved