Attending Networking Events for your home-based business is a great strategy. When done properly. When not done properly, going to Networking Events for your home-based business is a big ‘ol waste of time. Let me explain. There are a couple of rules to follow at networking events. Some of these are rules, and others are down right laws.
Check out this video – shot from the streets of New York City – for 5 effective networking tips for your next networking event.
Definition of Networking
The exchange of information or services among individuals, groups, or institutions; specifically: the cultivation of productive relationships for employment or business.
Here are some specific networking tips and strategies on how to properly use networking events to grow your home-based business.
5 Networking Tips To Use At Networking Events
- STOP SELLING As you can see, the above definition talks about creating and developing productive relationships… It does NOT say walk around with a sticker on your forehead that says “BUY STUFF FROM ME”!
- WIIFM Assume everyone you meet is asking themselves, “WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?” If you assume that most people care more about themselves, more about their business and their agenda, you will be right. Learn to listen more and talk less. Ask questions. Engage in conversation. Develop rapport. Create relationships. This will pay you in dividends over time.
- Gotta card? I’m sure you do. Leave ’em at home. This will force you to be present at your next event. Be there without an agenda. Don’t shove your business card down someones throat. This will get you nowhere fast. Instead, when you are done with your conversation and it is time to move on, ask, “gotta card?” They will be more then happy to give you theirs.
- Follow Up Most people don’t. But you do. You will stand out just by following up with an email or a phone call. Then, take the relationship you developed to the next level.
- Dress the part I discuss this in detail in the video.
If you got value from this post, please comment and share. Join the discussion: what are your favorite networking tips on how to PROPERLY Use networking events for your home based business?
Gotta comment? 🙂